Saturday, May 14, 2011

This Year's Pulitzer


Book #35 for me was Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad.  I have enjoyed some of her books, but I've been let down by one (The Keep), so I was lukewarm about this title.  After reading it, though, I feel the Pulitzer is justified.  The book is non-linear and employs other nontraditional narrative techniques that seem gimmicky when others try them.  The storytelling is a bit self-conscious at times, but it's effective nonetheless.  I keep thinking about the book--not only its characters, but the deft interweaving of stories and the predictions for my generation's future.  When a book lingers in mind, that's a seal of approval. 

Last night I watched movie # 27: Duplicity, starring Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, and a trove of other big names.  It's a heist movie, which requires concentration for the end to pay off.  It wasn't the greatest of con movies, but I enjoyed it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment