Saturday, January 22, 2011

I've run into a formatting dillemma.  Not sure if I should keep copying and pasting the entire list, or simply post the new books. 


So far in 2011, I've read the following books:




1. If I Stay, by Gayle Forman -- Intriguingly inventive perspective for narration. Moving.



2. Real Live Boyfriends, by E. Lockhart--The fourth and final book. Ruby's all grown up now.



3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larson --About 15% of the book is interesting.



4. The Sky is Everywhere, by Jandy Nelson-- Fantastic setting, characters, emotional spectrum.



5. Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro -- The most subtle dystopian sci-fi ever written.



6. Jumpstart the World, by Catherine Ryan Hyde -- I like the concept of a kid living in her own apartment.



7. Every Last One, by Anna Quindlen-- Wonderful, but very sad.



8. Crooked Letter Crooked Letter, by Tom Franklin-- Quality voices and fleshed-out characters, well-oriented setting, builds gradually toward its climax.


9. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett--This author has moxie. My belly was a knot of nerves for these women, and the book serves as a reminder that sometimes furtive activity is quite bold and courageous, and integrity matters more than most any attributes I can call to mind.



10. Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen--A compassionate he (ordinary and lacking confidence) said - she (un-self-consciously free-sprited) said for the tween set. Reminds me of Bridge to Terabithia, somehow.



11. Kaplan ACT Strategies for Super Busy Students (non-fiction)-- This book helped me to revise my methods for teaching kids how to approach the reading and English sections of the ACT. Repetitive, yet accessible and helpful--if put to use.

12.  New England (Lonely Planet)--I'm increasingly eager for our summer trip, and overwhelmed by the quantity of recreational choices we'll encounter.  The museums, and especially the literary tour stops beckon as well.  I was able to complete my vacation budget with information from this book.

13.  Wealth Watchers, by Alice Wood--Nothing new here, except for the support group concept, borrowed from Weight Watchers.

14.  Don't Get Caught with Your Skirt Down: A Practical Girl's Recession Guide, by Jill Keto-- A super-quick synopsis of current economic events, plus chapters of pragmatic advice.  Politically, she's all over the map.  Offers myriad additional resources.  I like the charts, graphs, and stats, and I loved the first-person stories about the Great Depression.

15.  Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer--I'm excited about re-reading this book, and then reading it again with my students.  It's fascinating to see their take.  They're thinking critically!

Next up:  Lake of Dreams, by Kim Edwards (author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter)

Two books I read late December 2010 that I wish to recommend are Tawni O'Dell's latest, Fragile Beasts, and Sara Gruen's newest, Ape House.


My most frequently recommended (and best loved) books of 2010: My Name is Memory, by Anne Brashares, The Nobodies Album, by Carolyn Parkhurst, and Fragile Beasts, as referenced above.

No comments:

Post a Comment