Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book 22 of 2011

22.  My Boyfriends' Dogs, by Dandi Daley Mackall is a light read.  I picked it up (and finished it) for two reasons: it takes place on my stomping grounds and it involves canines in a major way.  Forgive me, for I adopted a dog a week ago and am feeling much love for my new companion.

New to my listing routine are the movies I'm watching this year.  Pardon me while I back up and list January to the present.

  1. Cairo Time-- Fantastic in that slow-building, life-like way.  Sort of like Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.
  2. Please Give--Why is there no resolution to the plot?
  3. Ramona and Beezus--I cried.  Not just because I loved the books as a kid.  The movie got downright sappy, in a good way.
  4. Inception--Wow!  Just as good, if not better than Memento.
  5. The Kids are All Right--Good, very good.  Liked the characters, setting, and thought the plot was believable.
  6. Scott Pilgrim VS The World-- I'm officially old; I didn't find it interesting.
  7. Running the Sahara--not engaging.
  8. Good Hair--interesting and educational for a white girl like me.  My husband was also fascinated.
  9. Toe to Toe--meh.  Sort of a waste of time.
  10. 180 Degrees South--thoroughly enjoyed it: scenery, vicarious adventure, environmental responsibility.
  11. Warren Miller's Journey--fun while working out.  My son enjoyed it too.
  12. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--better than the book, thanks to editing.
  13. The 9-Ball Diaries--good while on the treadmill or bike trainer.
  14. The Girl Who Played with Fire--I liked it.
  15. American Teen--starts slow, but hard to stop thinking about once it's over. (documentary)
  16. Russell Brand in NYC--funny stuff, Maynard!
  17. Following Sean--mildly interesting documentary about a boy who grew up in a polyamorous Haight-Ashbury home during its heyday.
  18. The King's Speech--deserving of the Oscar.  I adore Collin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter
  19. Dinner for Schmucks--a few moments of hilarity, but forgettable overall.
  20. Never Let Me Go-- a solid interpretation of the book.  
  21. Waiting for Superman--it would take an essay to explain my reaction, since I am a teacher and a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment