Sunday, March 13, 2011

Book #23, Movie #23

Book #23 The Farther Shore, by Matthew Eck--I picked this up at the recommendation of one of Eck's students.  Since I read few stories involving soldiers (Tim O'Brien the exception, and the author to whom Eck is oft compared), the plot and characters felt uncommon to me, though I suspect they're atypical regardless.  The novel contains bursts of adrenaline-fueled action tempered with lengths of stillness.  In both cases, the unknown out-measures the known factors for these men.  I enjoyed the book, and found the characters sympathetic.  

Movie #23: Rango-- I am not a fan of animated movies, but I do enjoy Johnny Depp's work.  This was an okay movie.  Not surprisingly, I was eager for it to end and found sections awfully slow, but there was much humor and high quality dialogue.  The movie sure made me thirsty, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment