Saturday, October 13, 2007

Something Old AKA Something New


About 8 years ago, I inherited an old sewing machine. But no key to open the case. Recently, HerRoyalMajestyBags.etsy.com advised me how to jimmy the latch. Hiding inside is a beautiful, 1925 Singer machine, with old thread and scrap fabric for testing thread tension. It's as if Great Grandma Jake never knew she was putting the cover on for the final time. The original instruction manuals were inside as well, and I can't wait to learn how to use this sturdy relic from an ancestral quilter and clothesmaker.

When I plugged it in, I got zapped with electricity, so I'm going to have to take it in to the friendly Quilter's Caboodle store in town (that's Troy, MO to you strangers). Enjoy the pics, and share any of your own Singer refurbishing stories.

5 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! I have my grandma's Singer Featherweight and the other day I figured out it's from 1938-40. It's in great condition but it's not as pretty as yours, with all the colors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your icon on Etsy and I thought that we might have the same sewing machine. Cool! I've been trying to find out some information about mine, which my mother picked up for me at the Salvation Army. Yours looks to be in better condition, though.

    There are some pictures of mine here. Keep us updated on the refurbishment -- I'd love to get some tips and tricks from someone who has done this/had it done before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowee wow wow, what a looker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all of you, for the compliments!
    The machine is at the shop right now--I chickened out about doing the work myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! It's beautiful! So lucky.

    ReplyDelete