Saturday, March 1, 2008

Learning from Mistakes: Screen Printing Success

Last week I botched an attempt at screen-printing the thrifty way because I didn't buy the right ink (see February 21 entry) .

This weekend, I tried again, this time with Speedball ink, and ta-dah! Success! It's not without flaws, but I had fun with it. Out of insecurity, I printed onto the bottom of the old shirt, then cut it out and sewed it to a new shirt for a different look. (You won't find this style anywhere in the mighty and cool CafePress!)

I think I'm hooked. I'm always dreaming up crazy thoughts to put on shirts. My husband is already making requests. If only the screens didn't take so long to paint with ModPodge...

1 comment:

  1. I used this technique for my handbound sketchbooks. I used some very fine chiffon-like stuff. I actually got it from Joann's and you're supposed to use it to make those light, see-thru curtains. Another good thing to use would be Organza, but I can't find it anywhere.

    Yes, the modpodge painting is a killer. Especially when you want very thin lines. Looks like your most recent attempt turned out great, though!

    ReplyDelete