Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Reading & Ruminations

I just finished relishing Lost and Found, by Carolyn Parkhurst, author of The Dogs of Babel, which is also a great book.
If you enjoy reality shows on television, this book will be right up your alley.

Beside constant activity, this book offers complex characters, though just like on TV, they may seem like mere "types" at first. The conflicts are constantly percolating, and the author does a phenomenal job of leaking information slowly, thereby creating junkies of her readers in much the same way that producers of reality shows hook viewers.

I especially enjoyed the final sentences of each chapter. Zingers.
_______

Regarding last night's post...I was tired. And unable to sleep. Again. It always happens this time of year, as I re-orient myself toward work. I'll spend three nights sleepless, and the fourth comatose. The cycle repeats until the school year feels routine once again and I've surrendered myself to the sacrifices of teaching.
While visited by the cursed insomnia, I decided to begin a second blog, though I will likely do so anonymously and not link it here. I suspect the endeavor will tame my restless mind when it's hardest to do so. Hopefully, the anonymity will reap honest feedback for my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment