Friday, February 20, 2009

An Author to Count On

Marisa de los Santos is a fresh, smart writer who captures my full attention. From characterization to plotline, you'll swear these stories are true--or at least wish they were.


I was skeptical about this first one for two reasons. First, it was on the bargain shelf. Second, I don't share the narrator's obsession with certain silver screen stars. Before long, though, I was hooked.


It was thrilling to see some of the same characters in this book as in the first. I rarely re-read books, but this one is going to join that group of titles I rely on to escape fully from my life, then return refreshed.

1 comment:

  1. Belong to Me had a quote in it that I just can't forget:

    "We think of our parents are in charge. Like they know what they are doing. But the truth is, they're making it up as they go along, just like we are. Just like everyone. If we judge them by their worst mistakes, they're all, like, gargantuan failures. Maybe you should try judging your mom by her intentions, by whether she, like, loves you and is doing her best."

    I absolutely loved this book :)

    ReplyDelete