Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chick Lit Let Down


I generally avoid anything in the category of chick lit, but since I enjoyed Love the One You're With, I gave the author another try. Unfortunately, this book never struck a chord with me.

At first I thought the plot must be trying to appeal to readers as a revenge fantasy of sorts, in which karma delivers a well-deserved ass-kicking to the it-girl user who has always gotten her way.

Not so.

Instead, the supposed transformative powers of motherhood kick in and a decent human being blooms from the toxic roots of shallow, callow, and selfish behavior.

I enjoy a happy ending, but in this case I wish the characters had all reaped what they sowed.

I suppose I should read book one to learn about the more interesting characters. I'm just not sure I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment