Saturday, January 24, 2009

Two Recent Reads



Some Things That Stay, by Sarah Willis, is a good, solid story with a perspective I haven't seen before.

The main character is ashamed of her intellectual, atheist parents. Wherever they move--and they move each spring--the children are outcasts by fault of their parents refusal to blend in or back off.

The adolescent state of mind is captured accurately, yet somehow not infuriatingly or condescendingly. The events are atypical, as are the relationships.

I was interested and appreciative of the writing, yet never riveted or unable to go to sleep instead of reading further.



Regarding Playful Parenting, by Lawrence J. Cohen

I felt that better organization would have improved the reading experience. Much skimming was needed to locate information most relevant to my child and I.

Although I agree with much of what the author presents, and have put some ideas into practice, what I read was awfully anecdotal and specific to a select group of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment