Thursday, May 21, 2009

Book Meme

I found this on the blog Everyday I Write the Book, then changed the responses to my own.

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
Trade paperback. There's something so pleasing about that size and
weight. I will only carry bags and purses that will tote a book.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Ideally, I'd choose an independent bookseller like the one in my town:
Turning Pages. I must confess, however, that I have a Borders Visa so
that I can earn freebies.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Dog-ear. I have a system: top dog-ear = the page where I stopped
reading. Bottom dog-ear = check back for a quotation to add to my
collection. I do use mini Post-its to flag pages if I'm doing research
or lesson planning.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
I make many selections by perusing the reviews and lists available on
Amazon. I also write reviews there. I rarely buy books anymore,
though. I'm a library girl again.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
Our books used to be alphabetized (as were our CDs). Now, however,
we're pretty random.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Donate. I don't like to re-read books, but sometimes enjoy the
keepsake value.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
Remove it from the book while reading, then replace it to shelve the
book.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
I can't stand those slippery, noisy things.

Short story or novel?
Novels. Short stories can be masterpieces, but I will always choose a
meaty book over a teaser story.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I'm an Unfortunate Events fan.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
When tired. Or better yet, keep going until the book is over.

It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Not a fan of horror or of fantasy.

Buy or borrow?
Either, although borrowing makes me a tad nervous because some people
like their books to remain pristine and I like a book to be
broken-spined and lived in.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
All of the above!

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I don't like loose ends.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
Whenever I can! Most predictably at bed time.

Stand-alone or series?
Stand-alone. Although Marisa de los Santos' books might qualify as a
series. If so, I'm converted.

Favorite children’s book?
Can I say The Little Prince, or is that cheating since it's readable as
an adult?

Favorite YA book?
Looking for Alaska is great. Many of them are.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
I don't keep good books a secret!

Favorite books read last year?
Belong to Me, Girls in Trouble, Paper Towns, and oh so many more

Favorite books of all time?
The Time Traveler's Wife. I struggle to imagine making that plot work
out.

What are you reading right now?
Dairy Queen
All My Love, Kurt (Vonnegut)

What are you reading next?
What's on top of my stack?

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
A Wind in the Willows
the Anastasia (oh, a series!) books
Among the Hidden, etc. (another series)
The Giver

Favorite book to re-read?
The only book I have re-read as an adult that was not assigned is The
Time Traveler's Wife
(twice). There are too many undiscovered books to
spend time re-reading.

Do you ever smell books?
Absolutely. I can't read books that are musty, or that have been
stored too long in cardboard boxes.

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Rarely, and resulting in disappointment. I'm reading All My Love, Kurt
right now and struggling to keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment