Thursday, May 7, 2009

"There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in."


Let my bias be known: John Green writes the books that I longed for as an adolescent, and that I would love my own (yet to be finished) novels to be compared to one day.

Green certainly has prototypical female leads and male bonds, but the dynamics ring so true that one can hardly hold any pattern against him.

If you enjoy Paper Towns, try Thirteen Reasons Why (Jay Asher), and Star Girl (Jerry Spinelli). The similarities make them no less enthralling, and all three will grasp your attention until the end. This book, as with his others, will appeal to smart kids of either gender. (Go nerdfighters!)

The quotation in my review title is from Leonard Cohen's song Anthem. The concept is a pivot point for Quentin, the main character of Paper Towns, though Cohen gets no credit. (I merely find this surprising considering his careful attention to crediting other lyrics and poems.)
Cause for excitement: the author is working on a screenplay for Paper Towns!

No comments:

Post a Comment