Monday, May 4, 2009

Mother of Invention

I took this Monday off in order to enjoy a day at home alone to sew.



I was excited about this cute hobo bag pattern. It's hard to find a good purse pattern with a zipper top closure, and this one was to be a trial run prior to making an everyday bag for my mom-in-law. The plan failed.



I found the pattern instructions and photographs difficult to follow. After cutting all the pattern pieces and sewing a few together, I was loath to give up, but decided it was a matter of energy. If a project is no fun, it's not likely to turn out well or bring joy to anyone else.


Instead of stuffing the fabric pieces into my scrap box, I decided to salvage some of them to create a different bag. The lining became the bag, and I made pockets from the pieces originally intended for the bag's exterior.


The handle didn't seem long or fun enough as it was, so I created a chain-link strap. Since I had no coordinating fabric for lining, I simply serged the interior seams, as you can see below.


It's a simple, lightweight bag that I am now quite happy with. I might even make a pattern for it so that I can make more of them.

1 comment:

  1. Great way to make a bad pattern your own. I love the bag you came up with!

    ReplyDelete